When backpacking throughout any country, there is a limit to the number of items you can carry with you. Having to decide what to bring can be extremely difficult considering you want to be prepared for anything that happens. After taking a look at a number of different travel websites, I have compiled my personal list of the top 5 necessities you should carry with you when travelling.
1. Toilet Paper– There is one thing you do not want to be caught without when your pants are around your ankles…TOILET PAPER! When trekking around a foreign country, who knows when you’ll have access to a bathroom. Keeping a roll with you can save you a lot of trouble. I always kept a roll with me on my project site because to them the forest was considered the bathroom.
2. Food/Water– This one seems pretty self-explanatory. Staying hydrated and nourished is essential if you are going to be moving around all day. You don’t need to carry much, just a refillable water bottle and enough snacks to tie you over for the day.
3. First Aid Kit– A safety kit is a must-have in case there are any unfortunate surprises. If you or anyone travelling with you gets injured, it is so important for someone to be able to care for them.
4. Sunscreen– If your skin is going to be exposed to the sun for a prolonged period of time, you are going to want sunscreen. You may not notice the burning until it is too late. Take preventative measures and slather on the sunscreen before you step into the sun. When I worked on a reservation in Costa Rica, I made the mistake of foregoing the SPF and ended up with a brutal sunburn on my shoulders at the end of the day. I couldn’t even lie on my side for a couple days without experiencing pain.
5. Jacket– Of course packing clothes is a no brainer, but bring a jacket that can keep you warm. Getting stuck in the cold is something you definitely do not want so bring a jacket to bundle up.
These are just a few of the items that I found necessary to have a successful and comfortable backpacking trip. There are so many other gadgets you could bring, but you need to make sacrifices in order to use your backpack space efficiently.